Friday, October 21, 2011

Down Under

Well, we made it Down Under. I wasn't sure if I should kiss the ground or not when I got here as this is something I have always wanted to do. The flight over was long, but certainly worth it.
Sydney reminds me a lot of San Francisco. We toured the infamous opera house yesterday and it was gorgeous. I'll try to post some photos soon. We also spent some time with kangaroos, koalas, wmbats, dingoes, wallabys, and lots of birds yesterday. The variety of birds is just amazing and they are all so colorful.
The harbour is beautiful. As I see things I keep thinking about my friends back home as to what they would like about the city. Pody -- if you are reading this -- this is definitely a city for you and Rick -- with all the art, architecture and boats!!!
The time change has taken a while to get used to. I have sinced stopped asking everyone what day it is.
I have certainly become a follower on this trip. Alan has taken the lead and I am grateful for that. I've had a couple of meltdowns with all the people and the noise, but we have managed that. Sydney is a big city and I have to remember that it has lots of people and that bothers me. But, we are adjusting. Getting my medicine adjusted from morning and night time pills has been interesting. Alan isn't around me that much anymore so it is difficult for him to guess when things might be a problem for me. But, I'm here and I'm enjoying myself. He's taking care of me and that is good! Jennifer is taking lots of photos and once I get some more time on the internet I will try to post some.
The weather has been beautiful. It is the beginning of spring here. And, it is after the "busy season" so it is not as crowded (or so I am told) as it during the peak months.
Our airline, Qantas, is threatening to strike next week and we have four flights left including our return trip home next week. We are watching it carefully, but it would be a shame if we had to stay longer --- although Alan's new employer would not appreciate that much I'm sure.
Lots of seafood here as you can imagine. Sydney is heavily influenced by Asians. We are heading to Melbourne today and we are told that in addition to an Asian flair there as well, it has the second largest Greek population outside of Greece, so that should be interesting.
Thanks for reading -- more soon.

No comments: