Monday, May 19, 2008

This and That

My husband has been gone for five days. He and my son are driving from Palo Alto to Illinois. It has been heaven to have the house to myself and the quiet. I know I have written about this before, but you have no idea how much better I do by myself in solitude. I don't have to have the distraction of the television or from my husband. I don't realize how much it affects me until I get my quiet time alone. There isn't much that can be done about it since my husband has retired and is home all the time, but I relish my quiet time alone. I have a few more days of peace.

In a couple of days I'll be flying to Illinois to meet the guys and Jennifer will fly in from California to meet us for my nephew's wedding. Adjusting to all of that will be hard after my almost week of solitude! This wedding, however, will probably be the last time that my whole family will be together. It's kind of weird to think about that. I have two brothers, one that is 13 years older than me and another that is only two years older. My oldest brother is not in good health so I don't think he will be able to travel to Alan's wedding this summer. I have a niece who is living in Nevada who will be back for the wedding in Illinois, but probably not for Alan's wedding either. So, I guess this is the time to take all the photos we can as it will probably be the last time we are all together. Growing up I thought our family was pretty "normal". But, looking back I can see that it was anything but that. Funny how your perspective changes as you get older isn't it?

On another note, a friend of mine that I used to work with called me this morning and her brother passed away yesterday at the age of 48 from a heart attack. Since I'll be gone to Illinois I will miss the services and funeral and I hate that -- I don't think I have been as good a friend to her as she has been to me, and, for that I feel bad. I have to do better by that.

More before I leave.

No comments: