Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Another Friend Lost

I received word last night that another friend with Alzheimer's lost her battle. I had the privilege of meeting two remarkable women several years ago at the Alzheimer's Public Policy Forum in Washington DC. They were a set of twins from my home state of Illinois -- one had Alzheimer's, one did not. As twins go I guess they were like all twins, pretty close and inseparable. The "well" twin dropped everything and took care of her sister. These two women fought the battle as hard as anyone and did some amazing things to help raise awareness about Alzheimer's. I heard from one of the twins last night that she lost her sister earlier this month. I'm so sorry for their loss and it is our loss as well. Thanks for being a part of my life and thanks for all you have done for the Alzheimer's cause. I know your family will continue the fight.

I've been in somewhat of a "funk" lately -- don't know what else to call it, but after learning of this tragic loss it gives this "funk" a different perspective.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kris,
I am the daughter of "Another Lost Friend" you were talking about. Thank you so much for recognizing my mom. She was such a great lady and I know she really enjoyed the time she spent with you. Her struggle is finally over and she is finally "free" of this horrible disease, but I miss her so much, and she was so young (61 this past November). It's just so cruel what this disease does to not only the victim, but their families. Over the past year as my mom got worse, I spent nearly every evening with her trying to help take care of her and I'm so grateful for the time I had with her, but it was so hard to see her the way she was. I know though when she looks down on me now that she's mom again and she's whole again. When mom was first diagnosed she said that she wanted her brain donated to science and we followed through with her wishes and did just that. I think ANYTHING we can do to prevent other people from going through this awful illness is worth it. I praise and thank you for your efforts to get the word out about Alzheimer's. I think that the more people realize how real it is, the more they may want to do to help. I just pray that they find a cure someday. It's just so unfair. You take care of yourself and stay strong, and again, thank you for your efforts.
Sincerely,
Nicole

Anonymous said...

Kris,

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. It is devastating news and I'm sure hard for you to hear. I pray the research they are doing will bring a cure. You and that family are in my prayers. You are so loved, my friend.

Carol