Friday, August 04, 2006

Denial

Over the last few days I have come across several people who are dealing with denial issues in regards to Alzheimer's. Some are dealing with denial over themselves having the disease while others are dealing with denial from their family members.

I can understand the denial from the person with Alzheimer's much more than I can with the family. Now I realize that there is always some sort of denial in the beginning, but when it is taken to the extent of denial in not helping the person with Alzheimer's because they don't believe they have the disease -- that is a little harder to take.

My family has said that I never went into denial. I think I probably did, but if I did it wasn't for long. What is the point? If you have a disease what is the reason for denial? Deal with it. Find out what you can do and live the rest of the life you have. We always say life is too short and when you are in denial it is even shorter, because you are not enjoying the time you have with your friends and family. Besides, it takes too much effort (for me anyway) to be in denial.

It's hard to ask for help when you are in denial -- and trust me -- with Alzheimer's you need help. I don't like to admit that I do, but as each day, week and month passes I need more help. I don't like it -- but I'm learning to deal with it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just signed onto your site from The Trip Over. I deal with Bi-Polar, Sczhoprenia and recently diagnosed with AD. Also I am a recovering alcoholic, who has not drank in over 33 years. I felt the onset on memory problems about 10 years ago and now am 61 and my family now has begun to notice the real problems. I cann't find words, forget their names and even what I am doing at times. My phsycologist has finally come to the conclusion that it appears AD is setting in and probably has been there for some time. My neurologist and physciatrist push it off to depression and forgetfullness. My friends are even noticing the differences. I sometimes wonder if one does not have to take hold of professionals and shake them so that they will listen.
Thanks for being there.
Joe
jolynn1@cox.net