Tuesday, October 25, 2005

California and Back

Well, the trip to California is now history. It was a great trip -- the weather was great and seeing Alan (and Jennifer) was even greater. I forget how much I miss Alan when I don't see him. It seems like it was harder for me to leave this time, than it was for me to see him leave on his trip out there. It's hard to imagine that he is his own man now, not relying on his parents and making his way for himself. I know that is what we raise them for, but it's hard to see that happen sometimes.

We spend Alan's 22nd birthday with him. It was nice to be able to spend it together. We spent the day walking around the Stanford campus, Ralph and Alan played some tennis, we went out for dinner and came back to their apartment for cake and presents. The weather was so beautiful.

On Saturday we went up to San Francisco and went to Golden Gate Park and to the Japanese Tea Garden there. It was really pretty. Then we went to the Presidio and took a hiking trail. We didn't go down to the tourist spots on Fisherman's Wharf because we had been there before. We were searching for new places to explore. I had a hard time that day because I kept forgetting where we were. Later in the day, I just realized that it didn't matter where I was but that I was with my family and that is all that mattered.

I don't think I could ever get used to living on the Pacific Coast in Pacific Time Zone. It is just not right to be watching football in the morning! All of the live ESPN programming ran at it's usual time on Eastern time, but it is three hours earlier out there so football games that start at noon show in California at 9:00 a.m. --- that's just not right. The prime time programming on the major networks is held back, but it is still odd.

I'm still somewhat jet lagged. I think I stayed in CA long enough to get used to their time, only to come back and have to get readjusted to our time. So, as I remember more, I will write more.

All in all -- it was a good trip.

No comments: